Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Scrubs!

Rome said...
Your blog's fascinating, I love it! This is coming from a Senior musician in high school planning on doing a pre-med track. What school do you go to?

Thank you for the kind words. I would rather not publically disclose the school I attend for privacy reasons, but feel free to contact me by email if you would like to talk more about this music major/pre-med combination. I am just getting started with it, but I think/hope it will work out. I tried to find a contact email, but your profile is private. :)

Last night, I watched the third and fourth episodes of Scrubs Season 8, and I have to say that I am glad that the show seems to be getting back on track. Scrubs has been one of my favorite shows for some time now, and I was pretty disappointed with the first two episodes of the new season. Has anyone noticed that major characters are missing from each of the episodes so far (except the first one)? The second episode only featured J.D. and Turk; I am not even sure if Elliot, Dr. Cox, etc even appear.. I am sure this saves money, but it's kind of weird to have entire episodes without major characters.

I know that medical shows are incredibly unrealistic and contribute to false impressions about the medical environment, but there is just something about Scrubs that appeals to me. One doctor that I spoke to actually told me that Scrubs was semi-realistic, not in terms of its situations and the drama, but because humor was pretty much the only way to reconcile the truly sad nature of hospitals. Doctors and hospital staff have to do all that they can to get by without becoming lost in the emotional rollercoaster that it must be to treat sick people that could suddenly die.

Although the medical field seems like such a depressing field, there is something magical about it. It is science in action -- our ability to use our discoveries to enhance our lives. And that, is something that I'd like to be a part of.

No comments: