Monday, November 17, 2008

About a Spy

I finished reading John le Carre's novel "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" today for my political science seminar. It was a fast read, not life-changing, but still good nonetheless. I am not sure if I agree with Time's placement of this novel within the all-time top 100 list though. While it was a quite suspenseful and revolutionary novel for its insight into the espionage of the Cold War era, I do not think it merited quite as much attention as it should have. But, who am I to judge books anyway..

(plot spoiler)

I found Alec Leamas to be a respectable character, willing to remain loyal to his agency to the end even when they witheld the truth from him. He seemed to detach his individuality from the overall goals of his agency and his country; in doing so, he was better able to serve. It is ironic to me that despite this unfaltering loyalty, Leamas ends up dead along the fence, apparently betrayed by someone (the reader is left to guess). Perhaps, that was le Carre's point: that espionage is a dangerous, brutal, and ultimately inexplicable game. A cold game.

No comments: