Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dreams

What is the purpose of dreams and goals?

Throughout our lives, we can set goals for ourselves. These goals can be easily attained or quite impossible to attain. As a premed, I hear many people around me set goals for themselves regarding which medical school they wish to attend -- their dream schools, so to speak. Perhaps, by setting up standards for ourselves, we simply breed potential disappointment when the dream goes unfulfilled. Some may say that these dreams simply help us appreciate goals just that much more when they are achieved; however, do we really enjoy them more if we do not plan them? Every human loves surprises, being surprised, surprising others. How come we don't like being surprised about our futures?

I know I wish I could see into the future, see what is to come in my life. But, that'd ruin the whole fun of it, right? Part of living is being wary of what may be. These surprises can result in the whole gamut of emotions (from depression to elation), but I think this is what makes life as rich as it is. Many people say that sadness exists to define happiness and vice versa. I would have to say that I agree.

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

(A Dream Deferred - Langston Hughes)

No comments: