Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Survived (somewhat)!

Nathan said...
Are you a freshman taking orgo? How?

Good luck on the finals! My exams week ended yesterday at 8:30 AM
Yeah, I received AP credit for chemistry so I placed into organic chemistry as a freshman. I know that many people suggest that premeds retake general chemistry to solidify this knowledge, but I decided to try something more challenging. I had a decent chemistry background so it hasn't been too bad so far.

As of a few hours ago, I am officially done with the first semester of my freshmen year of college. Everything went decently; nothing was too horrible. Of course, I could have done better in a few things here and there, but that just leaves room for improvement next semester.

I was browsing Youtube and found this really interesting thing called the Youtube Symphony Orchestra. Basically, it's some sort of project in which musicians audition online to "play" with the Youtube Symphony Orchestra (YTSO). I am not really sure how the whole performance is going to work out, but it seems like a very interesting concept. Tan Dun (composer of the themes of Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) wrote a special piece for this event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqiro1kdRlw. Since I do not have anything major planned to accomplish over break, I may give this a go. The piece is kind of catchy; for some reason, I feel like I have heard theme before... (around the 4:00 mark). For more information, the website is www.youtube.com/symphony.

I am going home tomorrow. I am so excited for a month of relaxation!

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Excellent regarding your finals. I, too, saw the Youtube symphony orchestra bit. I took a look at the sheet music for cello, and it looked beyond me. Furthermore, having a "virtual" conductor, I find, is too difficult. However, I think I might try and audition for the Carnegie Hall competition.

Have a wonderful break! Can't wait to read the rest of your experiences!